Period Film Fact Check
See the Glamour video series “Would They Wear That?” for examples of historical costume analysis in the “fact-check” style: https://www.glamour.com/video/series/would-they-wear-that
1. INTRODUCTION TO THE FILM
- Identify all relevant players: film studio, director, costume designer, hair and make-up artists, actor(s), etc.
- Give a brief synopsis and an introduction to the character who wears the costume.
- Situate the scene in which the costume appears.
2. PERIOD SETTING
- Identify the era in which the film is set (be as specific as possible).
- Identify the location in which the film is set.
- Provide any relevant information on social customs or class from the time period
that would affect the clothing seen in the film.
3. DETAILED COSTUME ANALYSIS
- Undergarments: are they ever shown in the film? If not, what would the historically accurate undergarments be for this type of costume?
- Main Costume: identify each piece that makes up the main costume (ex. shirt, bodice, skirt, jacket, coat, etc.)
- Accessories: identify the accessories that figure prominently in the costume design (ex. shoes, hat, gloves, jewelry, etc.)
- Hair and Make-up: appraise the historical accuracy of the hair and make-up styling
4. HISTORICAL ACCURACY
- Is this a film in which historical accuracy was the goal for the costume design?
- What are the factors that may contribute to any historical inaccuracies?
- What do you think were the sources of research or inspiration for the costume
5. RELATIONSHIP TO CONTEMPORARY FASHION
- Do the historical costumes have any relation to the contemporary fashions from the year in which the film was made?
- Did this movie inspire any contemporary fashion trends following its release?