The fields of sports psychology, clinical psychology, educational psychology, industrial-organizational (I/O) psychology, counseling psychology, applied behavior analysis (ABA), and so on ask you to demonstrate the merit of your ideas. It is important for you to be competent in offering that support, because it will help with professional challenges such as securing grants, conducting effective treatment sessions, gaining parent cooperation, challenging school boards, or suggesting changes to existing policies.
Using the Capella library, locate five research studies related to the learning or psychological intervention of your choice. This intervention should connect with your field in some way and should result in a change in behavior (learning). The range of possible interventions is endless. If you have questions about the suitability of your choice of intervention to study, contact your instructor. Be sure that the intervention you are choosing is related to a learning or psychological issue in which the goal is to address learning something new or to adjust previous learning. You will encounter different types of articles while locating studies, such as the following:
• Research articles present original research.
• Review articles discuss research already presented elsewhere.
• Survey articles are comprehensive review articles that discuss an entire field or area of research, and may include meta-analyses.
• Theoretical articles explain an emerging theory.
• Analyze theoretical orientation in research across multiple studies.
o Locate the theoretical position or framework within each article. Explain which learning theory is being used as a framework for the research. Consider the current status of the learning theory in your analysis.
• Analyze the research methodology used to study psychological and educational interventions.
o Provide a complete analysis of the research methodologies common to the study of learning theory
o Include subjects, hypotheses, methods, and instruments, if any. Look at the strengths and limitations of the study.
• Evaluate the results of the research.
o Evaluate the effectiveness of the use of the intervention in practice.
o What did the research reveal about this intervention?
o How did the results of this research influence the field?
• Use paraphrasing and summarization to represent ideas from external sources.
o Interpret and synthesize credible sources.
o Exhibit adherence to stylistic conventions, document structure, and source attributions.
Develop an annotated bibliography of each article that includes:
• Your analysis of each article should include the following:
o What the theoretical position or framework of the researchers was.
o Who or what the subjects in the study were.
o Which hypotheses were involved.
o How it was studied (methodology) and which instruments were used.
o What was discovered (results).
o How the findings influenced the standing of the learning theory.
o An evaluation of the effectiveness of use of the intervention in practice.
o The strengths and limitations of the study.